Songs of the Spheres:
An Introduction to Astrology and Exploration of Musical Archetypes with Becca Tarnas
6 Online Sessions: Monday evenings 5:30-7pm : Feb 17-March 23
*Developing an Archetypal Eye*
Week 1: February 17 • Foundations of Archetypal Astrology
- The first class offers a brief history of archetypes from Greek philosophy to depth psychology, as well as introducing the meanings of the planets and aspects, and the structure of the natal chart. We will also delineate the three forms of astrological correspondence: the natal chart, personal transits, and world transits.
Week 2: February 24 • Light and Shadow of Venusian Love Songs
- Venus is the archetype of love and beauty. This class will explore permutations of Venus through love songs: the transcendent and celebratory, the bittersweet and heartbreaking, the deeply transformative.
Week 3: March 2 • Exploring the Depths with Saturn and Pluto
- Saturn is the archetype of structure, discipline, hard work, time, and tradition, and Pluto is the archetype of the depths, the underworld, power, and the death-rebirth mystery. This class will explore how these archetypes shape the quality of sound, and can also be applied in understanding social commentary through music.
Week 4: March 9 • Going Electric: Uranus in Music
- Uranus is the archetype of the rebel, the trickster, the innovator, and the revolutionary. This class will explore permutations of Uranus in sound, style, and genre, whether it is the pioneering of new musical styles, breakthroughs in an individual artist’s career, or the musical expressions of different revolutionary periods in history.
Week 5: March 16 • Archetypes on Stage: How the Whole Chart Affects Performance Style
- Thus far, the course has been exploring specific astrological aspects and how they manifest in individual songs. But how does a full natal chart, or the interaction between natal chart and world transits, come through in an artist’s performance style or entire musical oeuvre? This class will layer the astrological knowledge built throughout the class for a more complex and comprehensive analysis.
Week 6: March 23 • An Open Forum for Student’s Musical Requests
- Over the duration of the course students can share requests for particular artists, songs, or genres they would like to explore. This class will be specifically tailored to those requests.
All sessions will be hosted live, as well as recorded and available for student viewing after each live session.
Registration: $260 or $89/mo for 3 months. If you have scholarship requests please email [email protected], we are committed to making our programming no one turned away for lack of funds.
"Becca is an incredible astrologer. She's deeply gifted in understanding the relationships in the heavens, and how they relate to our lives and choices on Earth. She's articulate, intelligent, and compassionate- I can't recommend her enough." - Lara Bache
Becca Tarnas, PhD, is a scholar, artist, and editor of Archai: The Journal of Archetypal Cosmology. She
received her doctorate in Philosophy and Religion from the California Institute of Integral Studies,
with her dissertation titled The Back of Beyond: The Red Books of C. G. Jung and J. R. R. Tolkien. Her
research interests include depth psychology, literature, philosophy, and the ecological
imagination. She teaches in the Jungian Psychology and Archetypal Studies program at Pacifica
Graduate Institute, and is author of the book Journey to the Imaginal Realm: A Reader’s Guide to J. R. R.
Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Becca lives in Nevada City, California, where she has an astrological
Website: www.BeccaTarnas.com; Instagram: @Becca.Tarnas; Twitter: @BeccaTarnas